Composition #1: Longish Ago
Longish Ago is based off of a standard folk tune written in the
mid-nineteenth century by Thomas Bayly, Long,
Long Ago. The original lyrics to the first verse of this song are:
Tell me the
tales that to me were so dear,
Long, long
ago, long, long ago,
Sing me the
songs I delighted to hear,
Long, long
ago, long ago,
Now you are
come all my grief is removed,
Let me forget
that so long you have roved.
Let me
believe that you love as you loved,
Long, long ago, long ago.
This song
yearns nostalgically for the past. In my setting of this melody, I tried to
capture this nostalgia by recasting this song using pitch and rhythmic
materials from the twentieth century. This composition is influenced by Bela
Bartok, a Hungarian composer who traveled the country side collecting folk
tunes, which he then used as a basis for his own compositions.
The pitch material in my composition, Longish
Ago, comes from standard twentieth-century referential collections. The
opening is centered about pitch-class D, which sounds as a drone pitch in the
opening violin accompaniment. The
pitch-class D also shapes the melody, with several phrases beginning and ending
with this note (see m. 2, m. 3, m. 6, m. 8, and m. 12). This piece is in
ternary form, which is defined in part by the use of referential collections.
The opening A section is in D-Dorian, while the B section is in WT0.
When A returns in m. 8, the melody is once again in D-Dorian. The middle
section does not feature a distinct pitch center. A few times I used notes
outside of the prevailing mode, notably the Bb in mm. 2, 5, and 11. This note
provides a tragic contrast to the B-naturals that occur in D-Dorian.
I began the piece with an asymmetric meter, 5/8, and I switched to 7/8
midway through the A section. The unpredictability of these meters made the
melody less rhythmically square (compared to the original). The metric
modulation occurs at the beginning of the B section, where the previous eighth
note becomes the new quarter note. The effect is a slowing down of the melody.
This composition is for violin and clarinet. The opening A section begins
with a melody (clarinet) and accompaniment (violin) texture. While clarinet’s
phrase ends on the downbeat of m. 8, the violin takes up the melody for the B
section of the piece. This gesture is passed imitatively between the two
instruments. When A returns, the violin now has the melody while the clarinet
has a new countermelody.
I wanted a contrast in dynamics between the A and B sections of the
piece. The A section is wistful and reflective what the B section is a dramatic
outburst. In the A section I gave the melody line slightly louder dynamics and
the crescendo and decrescendo follow the shape of the melody. To give closure
to the piece, I decided to end with the same accompanimental gesture heard at
the opening, but played backwards.
The recording is posted on Sakai.

No comments:
Post a Comment